Central Virginia Legal Aid Society’s statement of goals and priorities is consistent with the suggested list of priorities adopted by Legal Services Corporation (LSC):
- Support of Families — CVLAS will provide advice and/or full representation in the areas of Domestic Violence and Housing.
- Preserving the Home — CVLAS will provide advice and/or full representation in the area of Housing including but not limited to cases involving evictions and foreclosure.
- Maintaining Economic Stability — CVLAS will provide full representation and/or advice in the areas of Employment, Public Benefits, Domestic Violence and Consumer issues.
- Safety, Stability and Health — CVLAS will provide full representation and/or advice in Domestic cases, including but not limited to our Domestic Violence pro bono program and No-Fault Divorces through PAI referrals.
- Populations with Special Vulnerabilities — CVLAS will provide full representation and/or advice in areas affecting Senior Citizens, the homeless and disabled.
- Delivery of Legal Services — CVLAS will continue to explore the potentials of significant new funding to increase staff and improve the delivery of legal services to clients.
Beyond these suggested guidelines, CVLAS’ statement of goals and priorities includes representation to protect the civil rights of clients who are victims of discrimination because of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, familial status or sexual orientation.
Virginia has a documented history of particular problems of discrimination on account of race, and this is of particular concern in representation of legal aid clients in central Virginia, in addition to issues that also relate to other kinds of discrimination prohibited by law.